Hi, I’m Laura! I’m in my mid twenties, although I’m in denial about the fact that I’m now closer to 30 than I am to 20 and I don’t know if I’m okay with that. In April 2015, I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos and fibromyalgia, since then reactive arthritis has recently been added to the list. I also have various mental illnesses and I’m passionate about raising aware and reducing some of the stigma held over mental and chronic illnesses. Recently, my health has taken a bit of a dip, which has meant that I’ve had to make some scary life decisions, so I’m using this opportunity to talk about about being a spoonie and what life is like as a professional sick kid.
Why Zebra? In medicine, the term “zebra” is used in reference to a rare disease or condition. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome is considered a rare condition and so EDS sufferers are known as medical zebras.
A little bit more about me:
- Are you named after anyone? Nope. My mum wishes that my name was Hannah Alice though.
- When was the last time you cried? Honestly? I cry most days. I’m an emotion sap.
- Do you have kids? Ha. No.
- If you were another person, would you be a friend of yourself? I like to think that I’m pretty cool, so yes.
- Do you use sarcasm a lot? All. The. Time.
- What’s the first thing you notice about people? Their shoes. You can tell a lot from a person’s shoes.
- What is your eye colour? Blue/grey
- Scary movie or happy endings? Happy endings
- Favorite smells? Raspberry bubble bath from The Body Shop.
- What’s the furthest you’ve ever been from home? Croatia or Greece.
- Do you have any special talents? My shoulders dislocate when I take jumpers off, does that count?
- Where were you born? Oxford born and bred.
- What are your hobbies? Healthy me loves netball, swimming, going to the gym and cooking. Unhealthy me loves reading and afternoon naps.
- Do you have any pets? Black and white cat called Louis aka Bear.
- How tall are you? 5ft 1
- What was your favourite/worst subject in High School? Favourites were English, geography and RE, worst were philosophy A level and physics.
- What is your Favourite drink? Animal? Perfume? Gin and tonic, dur. Tough call between pandas and cats. Miss Dior.
- What would you name your children? I love the names Isabelle and Isaac.
- What phone do you have? iPhone 6
- Tell us one of your bad habits! I leave hair ties and clips everywhere. Almost like a trail of where I have been.