Hi, I’m Laura! I’m in my twenties and I’m definitely in denial about the fact that I’m now closer to thirty than I am to twenty, get me back to the right side of my twenties please. In the spring of 2015, I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos and fibromyalgia, since then reactive arthritis has recently been added to the list. More recently, I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis and Addison’s Disease. One of my hobbies is collecting illnesses…just kidding! I also have various mental illnesses and I’m passionate about raising aware and reducing some of the stigma held over mental and chronic illnesses. Over the past years or so, my health has taken a bit of a dip, which has meant that I’ve had to make some scary life decisions, so I’m using this opportunity to talk about about being a spoonie and what life is like as a professional sick kid.
Why Zebra? In medicine, the term “zebra” is used in reference to a rare disease or condition. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome is considered a rare condition and so EDS sufferers are known as medical zebras.
A little bit more about me:
- Are you named after anyone? Nope. My mum wishes that my name was Hannah Alice though.
- When was the last time you cried? Honestly? I cry most days. I’m an emotion sap.
- Do you have kids? Ha. No.
- If you were another person, would you be a friend of yourself? I like to think that I’m pretty cool, so yes.
- Do you use sarcasm a lot? All. The. Time.
- What’s the first thing you notice about people? Their shoes. You can tell a lot from a person’s shoes.
- What is your eye colour? Blue/grey
- Scary movie or happy endings? Happy endings
- Favorite smells? Raspberry bubble bath from The Body Shop.
- What’s the furthest you’ve ever been from home? Croatia or Greece.
- Do you have any special talents? My shoulders dislocate when I take jumpers off, does that count?
- Where were you born? Oxford born and bred.
- What are your hobbies? Healthy me loves netball, swimming, going to the gym and cooking. Unhealthy me loves reading and afternoon naps.
- Do you have any pets? Black and white cat called Louis aka Bear.
- How tall are you? 5ft 1
- What was your favourite/worst subject in High School? Favourites were English, geography and RE, worst were philosophy A level and physics.
- What is your Favourite drink? Animal? Perfume? Gin and tonic, dur. Tough call between pandas and cats. Miss Dior.
- What would you name your children? I love the names Isabelle and Isaac.
- What phone do you have? iPhone 6
- Tell us one of your bad habits! I leave hair ties and clips everywhere. Almost like a trail of where I have been.